TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs

Pages

Thursday 21 March 2013

Bullying

The worst time has come, my son admitted one of my biggest fears to me today. He is being bullied at school.
Currently its only name calling and snide comments but the people doing so have pushed the exact buttons to get him in tears.

I noticed his temperament begin to change after Christmas- He gave up doing cadets, decided to give up gym and didn't want to go to Free running anymore. Free Running was something he really enjoyed doing as well. He has also turned into a very introverted child who clings to me and is telling me he loves me at every opportunity. He cuddles me much more than he did before as well. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with him telling me he loves me, but as often as he does now isn't normal for a 13 yr old boy. They should be off seeing friends and being independent. I've always brought him up to stand on his own 2 feet. My outgoing boy is now no longer there.

My first action was to give him a big hug and tell him that it will be sorted out. My next was to call the school and speak to his head of year. She called me back this afternoon and we had a long talk. I told her everything that he told me and we discussed the change in his manner and temperament. And we arranged what the next step will be. She will be talking to him in the morning and will be taking things further with the children involved. Also his form teacher will be asked to keep a close eye on things and see if he notices anything.

One thing i can promise- i will not let this get worse, if i see any sign of that i will be taking the matter up with the head of the school and then the governors of the school. Bullying is not tolerated in my house! I have always taught my children that they should treat others as they would like to be treated. Another of my favourite phrases is that if they can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. Its a shame that other parents don't teach the same and take care to ensurer that their children actually do so.



There are so many images to show anti bullying, but these 2 stood out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment